Monday, October 6, 2008

Update on Cal

Truth be said, it has been a rough week. For all those that don’t know, here is the update…Cal has failed all of his hearing tests since birth. Last Thursday we took him to an audiologist to measure if and how severe his hearing loss was, and the news wasn’t good. Cal is completely deaf. He has profound hearing loss in both ears.

What a strange thing to even write. Things like this happen to other people, never yourself.

Anyway, as of now he does not register any hearing capability. Our big hope is that the type of damage he has would allow him to receive cochlear implants. He will get an MRI in the next few months to determine if that is even a possibility. But right now we just don't know. As we find out more in the coming months, we will try and keep everyone informed.

It probably seems strange to blog about this, but I figured there were those out there who would want to know, and it’s not an easy thing to just call people and talk about.

Thanks to all of our family and friends who have been so supportive.

12 comments:

Jen said...

Steve- Thanks for the update, I have been wondering since the reunion. I am so sorry to hear the news. We have and will continue to pray for your family. Love you guys tons! :)

Suzanne G said...

You and baby Cal are in our prayers.

The Staggs said...

So sorry to hear. Your family is in our prayers. Please keep us updated.

Bree said...

Wow, you guys. I am so thrilled for your new arrival, and so sad about the issues you are facing with his hearing. I have a girl in my ward out here that has two deaf children (what are the odds?) and they both have cochlear implants. She feels really good about the decision, and it seems to be working to their advantage. They can speak great and are just totally normal, energetic boys! I am so sorry, and I will have you in my prayers.

Much love.

Ashley said...

We're praying for you guys. Let me know if there's anything you need.

Katie said...

I'm not sure what to say other than we are thinking of you and praying for you. He's lucky to have you guys for parents.

Team Beardshall said...

First of all Cal is super cute and congrats on having him. I am so sorry to hear about this. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers that some of this modern technology will be able to help him, I guess only time will tell. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Julie Peterson said...

Brynn & Steve,

Thanks for the update on litle Cal. He is so blessed to have great parents like you guys and to have a loving big sister!!

Julie, Ryan & Logan

Anonymous said...

will you e-mail me your e-mail address?

mine is kaydee_hanna@yahoo.com

Katie Foster

Jake and Linzey Jordison said...

Brynn and Steve- I am so sorry to hear about Cal's hearing problems. You guys will pull through this.

Unknown said...

Brynn and Steve-
I saw your guy's blog while looking up old friends from home. Chris and I will keep your gorgeous baby boy in our prayers, and I wish you only the best in this tough time.
Brooke Petersen Reber

Melissa L. said...

Brynn, Steve, Londyn, and Cal: I wanted to let you know our family is thinking about your family. Let us know if you need anything.