Well after nine months of waiting, he's here. I am pleased to introduce you to the newest member of the Perkins' clan, and heir to all that I own (meaning my homeade ice cream maker and my playing card collection)...Calan Taylor Perkins. He was born at 8:03am on Tues morning. He was 6 lbs. 15 oz, and perfect in every way. Mom is a stud and was up and out of the hospital the next day. Baby is perfect, Londyn loves the new kid and Dad is beaming. More to come soon...
Mom and her kids
Dad taking his boy home
Monday, August 11, 2008
There is a good chance that if you walked into my house right now you would hear me playing a fake trumpet. There is a 100% chance that if you were to ring my doorbell that you would hear a certain melody emanating from the device…(thank you 1978 house with a doorbell that plays over 50 songs!). Chances are that if you walked into my house at any given time you would be hard pressed to find me anywhere but directly in front of the television. Chances are, if you looked closely you might see a tear role down that whiskery cheek of mine…(damn you Bob Costas!)
Well by now you know I speak of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The fake trumpet would be playing the Olympic Theme. The Doorbell?…the Star Spangled Banner. The tears?...shameless.
It’s true. I am completely obsessed with the Olympics. I watch anything and everything that comes on. Badminton, volleyball, gymnastics, basketball, diving…let’s not even get started about my man-crush with Michael Phelps. Bottom line, GO USA! If you are in the neighborhood, drop on by and come watch a match or two. The trumpets will be blaring, the doorbell a singing, and the Perkins’ a cheering. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A…
Posted by Steve at Monday, August 11, 2008
Friday, August 1, 2008
With a new boy on the way (less than 30 days!), I often think about what he will be like. I don’t have a particular profile of what I want him to become; he can be an athlete, a scholar, a politician, or a musician. He can do anything he wants in life and I will love and respect him. The do’s are endless, it’s the DO NOT’s that concern me the most. I have compiled a short list of DO NOT’s that my son must know before he is born.
10 Simple Rules for Becoming My Son
1. Don’t be one upper. Everyone hates a one-upper. The only thing worse than a one-upper is…. don’t be that guy.
2. Don’t ever disregard proper urinal etiquette standard: 1 urinal minimum between you and another urinator. (Single Exception: Sporting Events)
3. Don’t be a Yankee fan. Everyone will hate you.
4. Don’t be a BYU fan. Everyone may not hate you, but I will.
5. Don’t be they guy who talks about how fast he drives…”Well, it will take you 4 hours to get to St. George…but, when I drive 3.”.Great dude, go drive off a cliff.
6. Don’t be the guy in the office who takes a practice golf swing (without a club) every 10 minutes. Everyone hates that guy and his 29-handicap.
7. Don’t tell me your becoming a male cheerleader for “the chicks”. Just come out, I will love you just the same.
8. Don’t be mean to your mother. She may never hurt you, but I will. So be nice.
9. Don’t be the kid that tries to nickname himself. If you are that kid, chances are you already have a nickname that you don’t know about.
10. If you wear G-Unit clothing, you have better of joined a prominent gang. Similar rule, if you wear skater shoes, you had better be able to do at least a kick flip or drop in a half pipe or something. Similar offenses: Do not tuck anything into basketball shorts and do not wear socks with sandals.
There will be other do not's, but this should keep you honest for a while. You have a got a Mommy, Daddy and big sister who can’t wait to meet you…see you soon…
Posted by Steve at Friday, August 01, 2008