Monday, April 7, 2008

Utah Man Am I


I have come to sick realization that I am a Utahan through and through. (Spell check told me it should be AN Utahan, but that sounds too weird…) Anyways, after making fun of countless people for saying “I love the moun-tins”, “I am from Hurr-i-cun, Utah”, “carn on the cob” and a personal favorite, "the ruff of the house", I am no better…and a 22-month-old child taught me this lesson.

Brynn and I just moved into a new place and we had some neighbors drop by to introduce themselves. We had a nice conversation and after they left I said to Brynn, “ Why didn’t you invite them in?” Suddenly Londyn perked up and screamed, “ I want a vitamin!” (You see, Londyn has a Flintstones vitamin every morning and loves it. But she knows she only gets a vitamin in the morning, so I was curious as to what made her want a vitamin at that particular moment)…then it hit me. I did not say, “invite them in” like a normal human person would have, I said, “invite ‘em in…or as my daughter heard, “in vitamin”, just as a/an Utahan would say. My daughter could not distinguish the difference between her Father saying, invite them in and in vitamin. What a sad, sad day. It’s not that I am ashamed of my heritage. I love Utah. I just love the mountains, not the moun-tins. You win mighty Utah. You have chewed me up and spit me out...and now I smell of green Jell-O and brine shrimp.

…An Utahan...The only reason that probably sounds weird to me is because I am from Utah.

4 comments:

Errin said...

I am so glad you commented! It really is a small world. How did you put the connection together? Just curious.

Londyn is darling! I can't believe the blonde hair. We really need to get together. I have called Ashley a few times to put it together, but it hasn't happened yet. I think it would be fun to see everyone.

I'm glad you have a blog. It's so great to keep in touch. Hope all is well with you. Hopefully we get together soon.

Julia Jenkins said...

DJ Perk,
316 is alive and well my friend. Oh how I miss the days of Mario Cart and tormenting our female counterparts across the way. Man are we doomed with our "little girls" when they grow up, one question though, whats up with the Blonde hair? Brynn you alley cat you. By the way I am not half retarded at golf anymore, we need a 316 golf reunion this spring. Talk to you soon buddy, good to hear from you.

Lil' J

Jodi said...

Hey guys! We didn't get to say goodbye before you moved. Hope everything is going well for you!

Jodi and Bryan Palmer
ayummylife.blogspot.com

Jami Weight said...

You forgot the ever so popular, "fur" Utahn Word. like, I am goint to the store fur some cereal. Love being a Utahn. Your daughter is so cute that it won't matter if she spaeaks like one too!!!