Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Rant of an Old Man

I got cut off on the way to work this morning. The slam on your brakes, spill your contained beverage on your work khakis, cut off. And do you know what I did? Nothing. Notta. Zip. In fact, I wasn’t even that upset. I began the why process and came to one conclusion. Age. It’s not that I don’t have the youthful energy to flip someone the legendary long Perkins eff-you finger anymore - it’s that age has changed me. So here’s my theory. As we age, we change. Some good, some bad – but like it or not, it happens. Turns out at 28 years and 11 months, I am now officially too old for road rage. Take MTV for example. For years I watched MTV. And sometime in the last 5 years, I’ve stopped. MTV didn’t change, I did. It’s not that I am outraged or disgusted by the content, I just don’t get it anymore.

And when I hear popular music, I wonder how kids relate to it. To kids across America, is Killers to you what Weezer was to me? Is your Kanye my Snoop? Nickelback my Nirvana ? Your Jonas Brothers my Hansen?( …I’m kidding. Seriously, I was kidding about Hansen. I never listened to Hansen. SHUT YOUR FACE! EVERYBODY LOVED MMM.. BOPP!) But I digress.

Then there is my liberalism. Oh to go back to the days of when things were black and white. Black and white is so much easier than gray. But the older I get I figure life is hard enough without being rigid in my judgments. I’ve gone as far as liberalizing myself out of a religion. (insert awkward laugh here)

Maybe it’s being a month away from the big 2-Niner. Maybe you’ll read this and think me a rambling fool. But you can’t spell change without age. (I just made that up. Right here – on the spot. Honest truth, just as I typed it, I made it up.)

On to the point! The point is…oh forget it. I’m getting too old for this.

4 comments:

Team Korte said...

I have a fabulous photograph of the "the legendary long Perkins eff-you finger". Classic.

Foster Mom said...

So are you saying that you are not into the church of the mormans anymore? I have a hare time reading berween the lines.

Foster Mom said...

So are you saying that you are not into the church of the mormans anymore? I have a hare time reading berween the line
s.

Missy said...

You're right. You are getting old.